Project: Billingsgate Market, London
Client: Corporation of London
Products: Em-Glaze Continuous Hip End Ridgelight
Billingsgate is the UK’s biggest indoor fish market, spanning a 13 acre site, and its large flat roof area had fallen into poor repair and required complete replacement. The original single skin Georgian rooflights were no longer fit for purpose, being fragile and at risk of breakage as well as thermally inefficient. With the market surrounded by high rise buildings, glass had to be low-reflective to minimise glare.
With its expert team and wide range of custom products, Whitesales was appointed for the job and the Whitesales Em-Glaze Continuous Hip End Ridgelight was specified as a high-quality, durable solution:
- Strong purpose-made double-glazed rooflight
- Sympathetic design to match original units
- Solar SKN174 glazing for unprecedented solar control
- Optimised light transmission levels
- Hermetically sealed, argon filled cavity guaranteeing superior thermal performance
- Total U-Value of 1.4W/m2K
- Impact resistance of CWCT Class 2
- Guaranteed for 10 years
- Available with hermetically sealed glass units or polycarbonate glazing systems
- Can incorporate either manual or electric opening vents
Billingsgate’s new flat roof has been completely transformed by Whitesales’ bespoke Em-Glaze rooflights, which maximise natural daylight levels, guarantee excellent thermal performance and give a smart, aesthetically pleasing finish.
“The installation of the new glass rooflights has really transformed the fish market. The job went very well and to schedule, with minimum disruption to the market. The rooflights themselves have increased the amount of natural daylight and provide a much greater level of energy efficiency”.
Billingsgate Market Superintendent, City of London
Download Case Study