Project InformationProject: Wadebridge School, Cornwall
Client: Wadebridge School
Scope of project: Supply rooflights for refurbishment of school roof
Products: Pyramid and Trapezoidal Em-Dome Rooflights with PVC300mm High Eco Em-Curb & Rotating Trickle Vents
The existing roof of Wadebridge School’s design, technology, art and science block had begun to fail, with leaks, discoloured rooflights and reducing daylight transmission. An extensive roof refurbishment required replacing the skylights above classrooms and hallways. The project also presented an opportunity to improve the building’s thermal performance and reduce energy bills.
We were appointed to provide rooflights which would achieve those goals without any significant solar heat gain. We also needed to manufacture the 75 rooflights to the roofing contractor’s strict school holiday timetable, and avoid storing stock on site.
Our CE EN1873-compliant, triple-skin Em-Dome ECO modular rooflights achieve superior thermal insulation, with complete unit U-Values as low as 1.40W/m2K, easily exceeding EN ISO 6946 standards. We specified the thermally broken 300mm PVC ECO Em-Curb for maximum insulation and easier installation.
We also incorporated manual opening and controllable rotating ventilation to improve air circulation.
Most importantly, we improved the internal natural lighting; extra daylight is proven to improve pupil concentration, communication, mood and achievement.
We timetabled manufacture, preassembly and delivery so that the 75 rooflights arrived on site in batches synched with the installation schedule.
- A better learning environment – daylight improves emotional, mental and physical wellbeing
- Improved air circulation – putting the school in control of essential fresh air
- More cost-effective to run – with better internal comfort
- Certified non-fragile to EN 14963: 2006: 1200 Joules, and ACR(M): 001: 2005 Class B
- Easier and safer for the contractor – just-in-time batch manufacture and delivery
- Rapid installation on a tight timetable through preassembly and easy-install Em-Curb collars.
Whitesales’ Em-Dome rooflights have greatly improved the amount of daylight in our school. As all schools should be aware, daylight is essential due to the role it plays in the productivity of students and staff alike. The new rooflights will contribute to improved energy efficiencies and therefore cost savings.
Head Teacher, Wadebridge School